The famous fanny pack or belt purse used in the 80-90’s, are back. It consists of a bag tied around the waist or hips with a belt or chain. This type of bag is ideal for traveling comfortable and safe, also for biking, for a nice long walk or for a good festival or concert … This complement has gone from being a retro and outdated piece that only tourists used to be a very chic and cool purse that can complete your best look this spring and summer.
In this DIY tutorial I will show you how easy it is to make a DIY Belt purse using a bag or purse from Grandma’s closet or a second hand purse to make this complement with a cool and vintage look …
- Bag or purse (vintage, second hand, from your aunt, mother, grandmother ….)
- Basic leather belt (you can contrast the color of the bag or that is the same tone)
- Leather punch
- Thick thread and needle
1. Remove with the help of your pliers any handle or strip that might bother or interfere. I removed this strip for the wrist.
2. With the leather punch do a couple of holes in two strips of about 5 cm long each. (I used the same leather strip that I removed)
3. Punch a hole in the bag to sew the strips. (If you don’t have a punch and don’t want to sew, you can do this steps with glue… But I recommend that you sew because it will be more resistant and hold better)
4. Sew the leather strips inside the bag.
5. Sew the bottom of the strp with a few stitches on the edge of the leather inside.
6. Pass the belt through the two leather strips you’ve sewn and adjust to your liking.
* Remember to measure first the space required to enter your belt through the sewn pieces.
As you can see, you can use it as a shoulder bag just lengthening the belt also as a clutch just removing the belt.
This cool belt made from a purse, has a much more sophisticated and chic look by using a vintage leather bag. You can combine it with your casual look with jeans or shorts with your sandals or you can also wear it with a summer dress and it will look great!
Would you wear a DIY Belt purse?