Since a long time ago I wanted to experiment with this crafting material, the famous “shrinkable plastic” or “magic plastic”. For those who don’t know it, it’s a sheet size of thin plastic that shrinks up to 70% of its original size. You can create all kinds of crafts and accessories. I couldn’t resist to create a pair of fan-shaped earrings … It’s very easy to use and I’m sure after you try to make accessories out of this product you will be fascinated with the results and possibilities!
- Shrinkable plastic sheet (you can buy them at craft stores and bricollage children’s sections, also on the internet as “Shrinkable plastic” or “shrinky dinks”. In my case, I thank my mother sent me this pack she bought in New York 🙂
- A pair of basic jewelry earrings
- Pearl or bead of your taste
- Jewelry rings
- Fabric of your liking
- Leather or paper punch
- Jewellery Pliers
1. Cut a template with the shape you want, in this case I created a kind of symmetrical fan or shell, folding the paper in half and cutting the shape.
2. Trace the figure on the plastic sheet and cut out.
3. Before putting in the oven, pierce with the punch where you want to hang these pieces. (Always make the holes before the plastic shrinks)
4. Heat the oven to about 130-150 Celsius degrees maximum. Place the pieces in the oven on baking paper.
5. Leave in the oven a maximum of 3 minutes (read the instructions of the plastic you buy, it may vary) The pieces will start to twist and bend. Do not panic, this is normal… Let it regain its original position and see how quickly it shrinks ( It’s fun!! ) Look how much the pieces shrank compared to the original template on the photo above.
6. Paint with nail polish or spray paint and let dry.
7. Place a pearl or a beat of your taste on the basic jewelry earring.
8. Fold a piece of fabric and sewn the corner on top to secure it.
9. Cut the exes fabric to create a mini tassel.
10. Insert a ring to the fabric tassel on to the plastic piece to join it to the earring with the beat.
Now you have a pair of fan earrings (or shell earrings) with a cute fabric tassel.
Ideal for a personalized gift, and these pieces of plastic have almost no weight, so they are very comfortable to wear. You can do a thousand shapes and figures and it will always turn out to be unique. In my case I like to mix textures and materials, so I gave it a touch of softness and bright color with the fabric tassel to balance out the hardness of the plastic and cold tone of the silver earring.
What shape would you do DIY’er? 😉