Some of the DIY’s that I like to do the most is to transform a piece of man clothing in to a woman’s garment. Simply because it’s always a challenge, but with a little imagination and patience the result is surprising.
In this tutorial I’ll show you how I transformed a classic pinstripe man blazer into a woman’s waistcoat with zippers for a rock touch. Find an out of fashion man blazer of your father, brother, boyfriend, friend …. or get it at a second-hand store and let’s get to work!
- One long zipper (front length)
- Two small zippers (optional for decoration)
- Marking chalk
- Bias ribbon
- Sewing machine
1. Remove the front buttons of the blazer.
2. Mark where you want to cut the armhole for the waistcoat.
3. Cut where you marked to remove the sleeves.
4. Measure it on your body and remove the excess in the sides and sew in for a more form fitting vest.
5. Fix the bias ribbon on the inside of the armholes with pins and sew.
6. Sew on the edge of the bias ribbon with the sewing machine to fix the outside of the waistcoat.
7. Close the waistcoat so that the buttonholes stay inside the front overlap.
8. Set the zipper from the top of the flap with pins.
9. Fix straight up the other half of the zipper.
10. Sew the zipper on each side and if you want you can decorate the waistcoat with more fake pockets sewing two sides zippers on.
Here’s the waistcoat ready! This garment looks great with jeans or shorts and you can combine it with a basic tee and heels … Im sure this waistcoat will become one of your favorite garments in your closet this season …It’s mine already!
If you want to check out my “DIY from blazer to vest 1.0” go HERE.