A while ago I moved from my old flat… and a couple of days ago I found the key to my old home in a forgotten drawer. I thought I could do a cute DIY project with this little nice memory of that period of my life … So in this tutorial I’ll show you how to decorate an old key to make it a charm for a cool necklace.
Feel like recycling your keys?
- Rope or chain or ribbon
- Fine Point Permanent Marker
- Nail polish of different colors
- Masking tape
1. Cover with masking tape the sections you don’t want to paint first and paint with nail polish the clean surface of you key. Let dry and repaint a second coat.
2. Cover the painted section with tape and uncover the next section and paint with another color. Continue until you have finished the key and remember to let it dry well between steps.
3. Knott a cord, ribbon or string to hang it around your neck.
4. Give a decorative finish touch with permanent marker. I’ve drawn some lines, zig zags and a few dots.
And voilà! A unique charm necklace. Painting it with nail polish will give it a good resistance for it not peeling off and if you want you can give it a further protection layer of clear nail polish to the whole key.