As I mentioned in previous posts, when you want to change the look of your home, it’s much easier, faster and cheaper changing textile accessories and leave the furniture as bases. Since the spring I wanted to give a touch of color to my bedroom. After removing many winter blankets and quilts, the room is a bit bland and boring.
With simple DIY cushions you can give a splash of color without beeing too much and having to change the entire bedding. It’s simple sewing your own cushions (and a thousand times cheaper!) Change the look of your living room, bead room, terrace or your favorite chair just DIY‘ing a cushion in your favorite fabric.
- Fabric of your liking
- Pom pom´s
- Scissors and pins
- Zipper the same length as your cushion
- Cushion or pillow stuffing
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
1. Cut two pieces of fabric the same size as your cushion plus 1cm on each side. Example: My cushion measures 50cm x 50cm I cut two squares of 52cm x 52cm.
2. If you put pompoms I recommend that you sew them before so they wont move
3. Sew on one of the squares of the cushion the pompons strip with a margin of 1cm with the pompoms inwards.
4. Position the zipper in the other square sewing also with a margin of 1cm.
5. Open the zipper and sew the other side to the square with pom poms.
6. Check before you continue that your zipper is positioned well and it’s sewed right.
7. Sew with 1 cm margin the 3 edges left to close the cushion leaving before the zipper a bit open so you wont close the whole piece.
8. Finally just turn inside out the whole piece and it’s ready to fill with foam pad or a base cushion.
It’s quick and easy to make your own DIY cushions with the fabric you like.
By adding pom pom’s to the edges, gives it a fun yet soft look to it. Mixing fabrics with different patterns and different colors as long as they retain a harmony … gives a feeling of warmth and “up to date” as the mix of prints is very IN at the moment.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and you will be encouraged to make your own cushions … why not make it a different cushion lining for every season you can change?
Until the next post DIY’er 🙂