One of my favorite garment pieces is the blazer … Since you can combine it in many ways and it goes well with all styles … Yet I think that depending on the color or the shape it hase, it may give you an extremely formal look. That’s why I wanted to refresh this old blazer to give it a more young and edgy look.
With some lace and eyelets you can make this laced up open back blazer for a fresh look and a WOW! impact when you turn around 😉
- Pack of “eyelets” or “grommets” with its applicator + hammer
- Bias ribbon
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
1. Draw from the middle to one side of the back of your blazer the shape you prefer for the open back.
2. Cut where you marked with the chalk to half of you back.
3. Fold the half just cut to the opposite side and trace the outline with chalk on the other side so that the shape it’s identical.
4. Cut and remove the rest.
5. Inside the entire edge sewn by sewing machine or by hand or simply iron and paste the bias ribbon. This will make the edges of the open back look polished.
6. If you sew the bias ribbon first fix with pins.
7. Sew around the edge.
8. Marc mirroring and the same distance dots to put the eyelets.
9. Follow the instructions in the pack of eyelets making a hole first. Position a hard surface below.
10. Insert the eyelet into the hole on the base and hammer with the head of the pack.
* There are many colors and different sizes of grommets so it depends on the style you want for your blazer. I chose small and silver.
11. In the same way you lace up a shoe lace the back of the blazer. If you want a fun and different design can use satin ribbons or cords of neon colors that contrast with a classic blazer.
And voila! A blazer with a beautiful open laced back. You can play by other forms of lacing and knitting.
Hope you like this version of an edgy blazer 😉
Happy DIY’ing DIY’ers!