Hello DIY’ers! I’ts so cold now in Barcelona! I keep wearing layers over layers of clothing. No doubt we have to make warm and cozy DIY‘s this time of the year. So I wanted to show you how to make a very easy Vest you can sew! No patterns needed, and in less than 30 minutes and you can wear your DIY autumn / winter Vest on any jersey, shirt, or coat! With this steps by step to make this DIY Vest (like a shawl) Make your own with the style you like. Mine has a Boho-ethnic style with this blue fabric with orange geometric designs, but you could make your own using leather, denim fabric or wool…. There are countless possibilities!
- Chunky knit fabric (It could also be wool, leather or fur)
- Scissors and big needle
- Measuring tape
- Thick wool or yarn (optional, to decorate the edges)
- Sewing machine
1. Cut a large rectangle about 170cm wide ( + whatever you want for hem) x 85cm high (+ hem) . I did quite wide hems, as the vest can flip, and my fabric is not equal from the front and the back. In this photo you can see how I made the hem width of 15cm.
2. Here you can see I’ve done the hem of the top about 25cm. Sew them on the sewing machine or by hand.
3. Cut two arm holes, about 20cm high by 10cm wide. Cut them starting from the middle to the sides. In total separation it must be about 25cm (if you are a size XS) to about 35cm (if you are an XL) Mine has 28cm of separation (I’m a size M). Cut the holes leaving a 15-20cm separation from the top (this will be the neck).
4. In this step (depending on what fabric you use) you can leave the edges of the arm holes like that, or you can finish the edges with bias ribbon, or as I have done in this case, with a strip of the same fabric.
5. Just sew the ribbon outside in around the edges with 1cm margin. Then flip the ribbon to the other side and sew over again. (see how to do it HERE)
6. This process is optional to decorate the edges with fringe tassels. For my vest, I think it looks good with the style. Using a large needle, pass several strings of wool at equidistant spacings of the edges of the sides.
7. Knott the wool strings near the edge so they won’t move.
8. Finally, cut all the tassels with the same length.
And it’s ready! I think the touch of fringes on my vest looks good with the color and pattern the fabric has. This vest could look very cool in a fur fabric for winter.
It will look good loose, just over your shoulders, or with a belt around your waist, like I’m wearing in the picture.
I hope you like this DIY autumn / winter vest and you will try to make yours! Don’t forget that we love to see your creations and you can share them with us on our Facebook page Anna Evers Plan B.
Until the next post!