For those who live outside of Spain, or simply do not know what Humana is, it’s a foundation that helps promote training and education in other countries. All this by selling textile waste, second-hand clothes. You too can help by donating clothes and buying second hand fashion at Humana.
I chose this men coat (one of my secrets is that I buy a lot in the men section) is a fairly classic and masculine coat and with just a few stitches and some ribbon I customized without losing its essence in a coat XXL. Now I have a trendy coat yet unique, and it only cost me 20 € !
This is the coat I chose. It’s a masculine coat size L.
- Satin ribbon or bias ribbon
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
1. So you can understand what I’ve done with the shape and volume of this coat, I have illustrated this picture. I removed the sleeves volume (on each side, from shoulder to bottom) and have shortened the sleeves over my wrists. This will give your this XXL coat look but without the Frankenstein look with wide shoulders.
2. Mark with pins where your are going to sew in the arms and where the sleeves are being shortened.
3. Cut the sleeves.
4. I put bias ribbon on the middle of the entire back. Lifting the neck all the way down under the coat. You can sew by hand or sewing machine.
5. Sew the ribbon on the seam where you sewed the side of the sleeves. And to make the hem of the sleeves, do it with bias ribbon, as we did in this post.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY oversize coat look, I’m in love with this coat! It’s super comfortable and I love the fact that it’s second hand and has a secret history between the seams…